Friday, October 23, 2009

Patience is a virtue...

...that I do not possess.

It wasn't until James and I started dating (and then got engaged and married) that I realized that the way my family celebrates holidays and engages in gift-giving may not be the norm. As a young child I remember saving up my allowance (it may have been $3 per week back then) in order to be able to purchase a very large and awesome stuffed animal I so much desired. My mom and I came to an agreement that when I was able to cover half of the cost ($50) that she would cover the other half plus tax ($55). The day I had enough money we went to FAO and the huge Gund dog was mine. There was no waiting for my birthday or Hanukah. Gifts centered around either saving up the money or wanting something badly enough and having a good rationale for purchasing it. Fast forward 20+ years and the idea of waiting for gifts until 2 predetermined days of the year is hard to wrap my head around. Don't get me wrong, my first Christmas at James' parents' house was a fabulous treat. I have never received so many gifts at one time. But there is a cost. If I want something, I am supposed to wait, maybe even for months, and not purchase it myself in order to facilitate this process of getting longed for gifts on these 2 special days. I am NOT good at this. When I want something, I want it. I think about it every day. I go back and forth in my mind about whether I have enough money to buy it that very day. When James says "don't buy it" -- I understand that this is likely code for, "you'll get it soon" but... 
I WANT IT NOW!!!  (excuse my infantile outburst ;-) ). Strange that it is not made easier by knowing that this item is gratuitous and I am living and running fine without it...

Oh and about running: yesterday I ran an easy 4 miles in 34:30. Have a strange spot on the widest part of the my left foot then has been feeling bruised after each of my last 3 runs, don't know what is up with that. Only one more long run this Sunday and then 2 very easy runs before RACE DAY!  (oh and I am only awaiting one final letter and then I can submit all 20 applications ---could be done as soon as Monday!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment