Saturday, April 3, 2010

update

Once again its been weeks (a month?!?) since I've blogged. I've been keeping up with others' blogs but just don't seem to have the motivation to write. Triathlon training has been going to pretty well. I am trying to be good about putting my workouts into google calendar at the bottom of my blog if you want to see the skeleton version of my workouts. It has taken a while for me to actually get up to 3 runs, 3 rides, and 2 swims per week. The biking has been great and easy. I even invested in cycling shoes which make such a huge difference. My posterior tibialis has been finicky so many weeks have ended with only 2 legit runs (and maybe a third of under 3 miles - or a few walks). In addition, about a week ago, I had a crash bang boom with the pool wall which left me afraid I had broken a bone in my foot. I didn't run for about 5 days and didn't do much of anything for the first 48 hours. Thankfully, besides dislocating two of my toes, it was just a deep bruise and some angry soft tissue throughout my foot. I'm feeling 90% back to normal now.

I have noticed that overall the cycling (spinning, for now) has been way better than I expected. I am starting to feel this sense of my legs like pistons; I like that a lot. My swims go well as long as I don't play mind games before. Although I'm not clear whether I am getting faster on swims, I've had a number of good mile long swims/legs of swims in under 29 minutes. I am still not having great runs. I feel tentative and fearful a lot of the time. Strangely, the BRICK workouts I've done in which I spin then run have been awesome. Every one of these workouts has given me a lot of hope about the actual triathlon. This past Tuesday I even extended my run portion beyond the 2-3.5 miles I had been doing and ran 5 miles with negative splits. I also did my first swim-bike BRICK this Monday. I must be kicking much more than I can feel because my legs are always fried after swims. Will need to work on this before July.

This was the first week that I didn't totally bonk in terms of energy on Thursday and Friday. Either I'm adapting or the singles on Th and F were just what I needed. My 2 hour spin this morning didn't feel great but that could have been due to the bad food/drink I consumed yesterday with a friend/colleague visiting. Outside of training things have been pretty stressful. I am full on in dissertation writing mode. 11 weeks until I hope to have it off to my advisor. This week I hated every word written and was very busy doubting myself and feeling frustrated that I don't know more. *sigh* oh well. A little time and distance and things tend to come back into focus. Also, there is a potential house in West Roxbury that we were hoping (but doubtful we'd be able) to move into in June and more and more it looks like it could happen. My mother visited yesterday and the pics she took show the place to be gorgeous! All the things we could want. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer, dishwasher, garage, backyard, hardwood floors, crown molding, etc etc etc. Even if its out of our price range, I think we may have to do it. We are going to Boston in 2 weeks to see it in person. Also, its Patriot's Day weekend so I am hoping to convince James to stay through Monday so we can watch the marathon!!!

That's all for my all to brief catchup post. Hope everyone has a great weekend!



Wed Mar 10 
 
 
 
Thu Mar 11 
 
 
 
Fri Mar 12 
 
 
 
Sat Mar 13 
 
 
 
Sun Mar 14 
 
 
 
Mon Mar 15 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tue Mar 16 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wed Mar 17 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thu Mar 18 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fri Mar 19 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sat Mar 20 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sun Mar 21 
 
 
 
Mon Mar 22 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tue Mar 23 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wed Mar 24 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thu Mar 25 
 
 
 
Fri Mar 26 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sat Mar 27 
 
 
 
Sun Mar 28 
 
 
 
Mon Mar 29 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tue Mar 30 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wed Mar 31 
 
 
 
Thu Apr 1 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fri Apr 2 
 
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You may not be blogging a whole lot, but you are kicking butt in the training. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete