Saturday, April 2, 2011

March - By the Numbers

March
Swim: 23,250 yards
Bike:  567.2 miles
Run: 105.15 miles
Weights/Core: 5 sessions
Total training time:  56hrs 50minutes


March was a very good month for training! After months and months of slow, demoralizing running I re-found my "speed." With the outdoor track finally liberated from the snow I have been doing speedwork outside rather than on the treadmill. This was huge - I'm much faster on the road than on the treadmill. Feeling tempo and speed efforts is so much better when you are moving forward rather than trying not to fall off the back of a spinning belt. My long runs were all also really solid. I even had a run where I entertained the fantasy (albeit very briefly) of running a marathon after triathlon season. My pace felt good; I finally stopped falling apart at the 10 mile mark like I did my entire first year of running. Maybe there is something to slow, demoralizing, but consistent running all through the winter.

I was a beast on the trainer this month. Over 30 hours, well over 500 miles. Loved (almost) every minute of it. I got my bike tuned up so its road ready. I thought about switching out my trainer tyre for my road tire but thought better of it and am glad I waited as we just had more snow yesterday. I have a modified Big Day planned for 2 weeks from now, think I might make the transition after that. Can't wait to see how things are back out on the road. I only road Nimbus a handful of times outside last summer - it'll be great to find out what sort of progress I've made with 2000 or so trainer miles I have put in over the winter.

Swimming and weights, still meh at best for this month. Think I was using my paddles too often and for too much distance too soon, which has been aggravating my left shoulder. This past week I put the paddles away and have had a bunch of good swims, and no pain. Lesson learned; for now. Still haven't figured out a good schedule for lifting. At work my schedule is changing a little bit for the next three months so hopefully I might find a better groove.

1 comment:

  1. that's a lot of everything! i'm especially impressed on the biking. do you ride in the morning or evening on the trainer?

    ReplyDelete